Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Biscuits of My Dreams: Cream Biscuits

These biscuits are an exercise in discipline for me.
So creamy, so fluffy, so mmm.

You see that lil guy up there? That, my friends, is a biscuit. And not just any biscuit -- I call him the Biscuit of my DREAMS cream biscuit. I call him that because as soon as I take a bite of this fluffy, bready, creamy piece of mmm, all I can do is close my eyes, shake my head, and think "Now this is the life!"

"But he looks so lonely!" you wail. That may be true, but allow me to let you in on a little secret: I really like these biscuits. No. I'm serious. I like these biscuits too much. (They're the biscuits of my dreams, for cryin' out loud!) So the only way I can avoid eating 10 in one sitting is to bake just a few at a time and flash freeze* the rest. No baskets brimming with biscuits around here! Nuh uh. With a little self-control and the knowledge that I can make one of these any time I want, I think I may just make it one whole night without indulging. 

I can't promise the same for you ;)

Biscuits of My Dreams, a.k.a. Cream Biscuits


Yield: ~10 biscuits

3 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/4 cups heavy cream

1. Preheat oven to 425°F. (It took a while for my oven to get there, hence why, for the first time, I'm actually listing this as step 1).
2. In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. 
3. Fold in cream. Smitten Kitchen's recipe called for an extra 1/4 cup of heavy cream which I didn't need, but the goal here is to make your dough soft, not too sticky, and easily to handle.
4. Turn out dough onto a floured surface, roll it into a ball using your hands, then press it down to a thickness of approx. 3/4 inch. 
5. Using a cookie cutter, biscuit cutter, or (as in my case) a small glass, cut into rounds of around 2.5 inches in diameter. Continue until you've used all the dough/scraps.
6. Melt butter in the microwave. Dip the tops of the biscuits in this butter. At this point, you may decide you don't want to make all these lil dreams today, so you can go ahead and flash freeze the ones you want to save (see below for directions)
7. Place biscuits on a parchment paper- or aluminum foil-covered baking pan, and bake until golden, about 12-15 minutes.
8. Enjoy alone, or with butter (typical), hummus (delicious), baba ganoush (even better), or honey (heavenly).

Honey-covered biscuit. 
::Drool::

*A note on flash freezing: If you decide that you're not going to make all your biscuits right away, you can place them on a cookie sheet, then place the whole sheet in the freezer. Once the biscuits are solid (a few hours or overnight), place them in a ziplock bag. Now, when you want fresh baked biscuits, pop them in the oven straight from the freezer and add 3-ish minutes to your baking time. They're just as good as on the first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment