Friday, April 9, 2010

Challah-Mak Remix, or, What is Sure to Become a Classic

We did it. We told you we would! 
Challah z Makiem

Right before Easter, 'Chefski reminded me of the experiment he'd dreamed up the last time we made challah: What if we created a magical concoction, a heretofore unheard of version of the eggy bread that had some mak' (poppy seeds) in it? 

So I did a little research on how to fill a loaf of challah bread with something tasty. You can imagine my delight when I discovered that we're not the first to want to put something inside this braided bread (I think sometimes it's OK not to reinvent the wheel) :)


I got the idea for the technique from Parsley, Sage, Dessert, and Line Drives. The blogger there has some great pics of how to assemble her version of challah, as well as her own recipe for the dough (I used some frozen dough from last time). The trick is, when you get to the braiding stage, instead of rolling six ropes, flatten out each rope into a rectangular sheet, just like you would if you were making a cinnamon roll (or makowiec, actually). Spread the poppy seed paste (or chocolate, or cinnamon or anything you want to fill your bread with) onto the sheets, roll into logs, and use each log in the same way you would have used a braid rope.

Such a small and simple change. Such an incredible result. This new version's definitely a keeper, and it may just be the only way I make mak' from now on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment