Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Quick Sans Pic: Homemade Tomato Sauce

Some people give the thumbs up. Others nod to signal their approval. When food provokes a resounding "Yes," I shake my head. 

It's true! Whenever I discover a recipe to something that tastes BETTER homemade than store-bought (and is super easy to make!), I just get this feeling of  "Seriously?! Dang! Why haven't I made this before? This is amazing!" I guess the head shake reflects how almost disappointed I am that it took as long as it did to discover, but at the end of the day it's a sign of happiness.

Hopefully this 3-ish ingredient, basically 1-step recipe for homemade tomato sauce will have you shaking your head too :)
 
You can make your own tomato sauce!
Adapted from (you guessed it) Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients
28 oz can of whole, peeled tomatoes
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, peeled and halved
1 clove minced garlic
salt to taste 

Directions
1. In a medium pan over medium heat, toss together the tomatoes, butter and onion. {this is pretty much it, but I'll continue for the sake of closure.}
2. Bring to a simmer, then lower your heat and continue to simmer for about 45 minutes. Every now and then, stir and use your spoon to crush the tomatoes a bit. 
3. Remove from heat, remove the onion halves, and salt to taste (be sure to taste/ check if your canned tomatoes were already salted).
4. Serve with pasta, on a pizza, or save for later in a jar from one of those sub-par store-bought sauces ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment