Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ania's Fresh Tomato & Spinach Pasta Sauce

Handwritten notes are still irreplaceable in my book.

Recently, I've made a real effort to throw away a lot of the junk I've accumulated over the past few years. It's amazing to me how despite several moves -- from dorm to dorm in college, from Ma's apartment to my own places, I've somehow failed to detach myself from the clutter I've accumulated.
Until now. Now, don't get wrong, I was by no means a hoarder. Still, I had a few papers too many, and perhaps just a small excess of unnecessary mementos lying around. The great news is, for some reason, something just clicked for me in the past year and a half and I realized, as corny as it may sound, that I don't need to hold onto objects as if they formed some kind of security blanket.

My home no longer resides in things, but in people.

This doesn't mean I'm ready to start living out of a single suitcase; it's just gotten a lot easier for me to distinguish the trash from the treasures.

Pictured above and transcribed below is one such gem I discovered in a recent purge of my room. A few times during senior year, Ania made this simple yet incredibly tasty pasta dish which perfectly incorporated two of my favorite farmer's market staples: spinach and tomatoes. As always, she was generous enough to share both the dish and the recipe. Just like my aunt's flan recipe, this sheet of paper managed survived three moves, and that's a bit of a wonder to me, which is why I thought it high time to save here :)

Thanks again, Ania!  

Fresh Tomato and Spinach Pasta Sauce
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes, diced
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed & chopped
- 3 glove cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 TB olive oil

1. Oil a frying pan & place over medium heat.
2. Add onions & garlic & stir until they begin to soften. Stir in spinach & cook until it begins to wilt.
3. Add tomatoes, basil [Caronote: hey! that's not in the ingredients! :)], salt & pepper & cook for several minutes, until tomatoes are heated through.
4. Serve over pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment