Sunday, December 26, 2010

φασολάδα (Fasolada: Greek Navy Bean Soup)

For the sake of transparency, I'll be upfront and admit it: I didn't follow the recipe. Sure, sure, I often make tweaks, but seriously, this time I was forced to take shortcuts because I just got back from proctoring an exam, have yet to grade them before the 48 hours I'm allotted to calculate grades is up, and I'm leaving the state for Winter Break in the morning. I wasn't going to go to Giant for this one, but I also didn't want to eat PB&J for dinner. So this is what I made, in such a reductive fashion that I'm not evens sure I can still call it φασολάδα (fasolada). 

φασολάδα (fasolada)
Adapted from Elly Says Opa!

What I did...

Ingredients:
1- 15.5 oz can Goya navy beans
1 - 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
a large pinch of oregano
a pinch of red pepper flakes 
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. In a medium pot, heat beans with liquid until boiling.
2. Add diced tomatoes, and the rest of the ingredients, mixing well to incorporate fully.
3. Keep heatin' til it's ready for eatin'!

And let me tell you -- this was delicious!
 
The recipe says something more like this...

1lb dried haricot/navy beans 
12 cups water
1.5 cups crushed tomatoes
3-4 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon oregano 
a pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 cup chopped parsley
3 carrots, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1-2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. After rinsing and picking out any unsightly beans, place your beans in a pot and fill with water such that 3 inches or so cover them. Allow to soak overnight, then drain the water.
2. Add water to the beans so that they are, again, covered by a few inches. Bring the pot to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes. Once cooked, drain the beans.
3. Add the 12 cups of water to the pot. 
4. Add all of the remaining ingredients, except for the salt (remember, beans, for whatever reason, refuse to soften post-salt!)
5. Once the pot comes to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to a simmer, and allow to cook for 1.5 hours. 
6. After 1.5 hours have elapsed, uncover the pot and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the beans have softened and the soup is thick (this is where you may need to add water). 
7. Add salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment