Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Raisin' Hell: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Forgive the dark photos -- I took these way before I got my fancy-schmancy Nikon.
 
My first real attempts at baking were during senior year in college, and while I've never been too much of a cookie fan, I know other people are. It's probably something about how portable and usually portion-controllable they are. At least that's my guess. Plus, they're easy to make and give away, so I've tried to become adept at a few different kinds. I started with my favorite, the (usually) least sweet of all: oatmeal raisin. It's the kind of cookie you can trick yourself into believing is good for you. I mean, come on! Raisins? Oatmeal? How could it not be good for your heart?

I got this super easy recipe for oatmeal raising cookies from the same book I found the baguette recipe I'm fond of. They're chewy, only use a few ingredients, and have always been a hit as a gift. 

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Adapted from The French Don't Diet

Ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
pinch, each, of baking soda, cinnamon, and salt
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins

Directions
 
Preheat over to 350 degrees F

In a large bowl:
Blend the wet ingredients (butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla).

In another bowl:
Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, oats, and raisins) and then fold them into the wet ingredients.

Scoop the dough, in ping-pong sized balls, onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden.

Allow to cool, then munch away.

No comments:

Post a Comment