Sunday, November 6, 2011

Super-Moist Pumpkin Muffins



I know I'm not alone in this, but I really do enjoy all things pumpkin. This year I was lucky enough to score a couple of real pumpkins for free and tried my hand at roasting them and turning their sweet flesh into puree for baking! I'm pretty sure the high water content of the homemade puree added to the moistness of these muffins, and I'll be hard pressed to use canned pumpkin in the future if I can avoid it. Here's to autumn lasting as long as possible and holding winter at bay!


Super-Moist Pumpkin Muffins
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I bet I could have subbed in apple sauce for a bit of this)
1 cup fresh pumpkin puree
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soday
forgot to use 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (whoops) but got a very nice rise anyway
1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice: 
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
sprinkle of ground cloves
2 Tablespoons sugar + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon for topping
optional: top with roasted pumpkin seeds


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
2.In a large bowl whisk together pumpkin, 1/2 cup sugar, oil, vanilla extract, Splenda, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda (and I'm guessing baking powder as well) and salt until smooth.
3. Add flours and whisk til just combined.
4. In a small bowl combine 2 Tablespoons sugar with 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
5. Fill your muffin tin with the batter, only about 3/4 full in each well. Top with cinnamon sugar and pumpkin seeds if using. 
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment